Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sunday Scribblings...


Why I live where I live


I live in Seattle. This is the second time I’ve lived here. I moved here for the first time in ‘97 with a girl friend. We had come up for a visit once over spring break and fallen in love with the vibrant city. It was the early 90’s and Seattle was deep into its grunge rock hay day. There were so many great venues to see live music and so many fantastic bands! It felt so magical to me. It was an amazing time to be young, free and living in Seattle.

Seattle, as you may know, is also the home of the latte. In the early 90’s Starbucks had yet to invade every city in the nation. I had gone on a cross-country trip with some friends the year before and I couldn’t find a latte in the heartland to save my life! In Seattle not only were there several Starbucks to choose from, there was (and is) Tully’s, Seattle’s Best and more assorted random individual coffee houses than you can count.

If coffee and music isn’t your thing, there is always the beer. The Northwest is full of amazing micro brews. Need I say more??

I met my husband here in 97, almost right after I moved here. We spent the first four years of our relationship here and then moved to Colorado for my husband’s residency. I hated living in Denver and couldn’t wait to get back to Seattle. We moved back at the end of June of this year after a four-year absence for him to do his infectious disease fellowship and get his masters in public health.

I know when people think about Seattle on of the first thing that comes to mind is the rain. I think about how beautiful it is here on sunny days. It is amazing, the white-topped mountains surrounding the city, the sound and the lakes and the green everywhere! Oh and the long summer days!! It was light out today from 6 to 9 and it isn’t even June yet!

Seattle is the home of grunge, Starbucks, coffee houses, micro brews, Costco, Microsoft and the dot.com world. There are enough fantastic restaurants here to eat out for breakfast lunch and dinner for a month and not have a bad meal.

If you don’t mind a little rain, I can’t imagine a better place to live!!

8 Comments:

Blogger boho girl said...

while reading this, i felt a cool crisp breeze on my face.

i love Seattle as well. it is so YOU and so beautiful.

funny to think that is where the latte all started, eh? now i cannot go a few feet without a Starbucks on every corner.

glad you're back in your city.

love to you. xoxoxo

8:06 AM  
Blogger M said...

I can totally relate, being just north of you and sharing the mountains and the seaside and the incredible nature of it all. Aren't we so so lucky to be on thios part of the west coast!?! I've always minded the rain, it brings me down, but for some reason here it doesn't bother me. I think it's the green and the amazing sunshine when it does come!

10:15 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

great photos and info...

and i have to say...
i LOVE grunge.

i am now 36
and think that i will still
dress "grunge"...
maybe i can single-handedly bring it back...

heehee

10:20 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

love these pictures. and i am so glad that you are here.
i can't imagine living anywhere else.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ADORE Seattle...TEG was based out there for a while and I visited tons. It's gorgeous. You make me miss it! :)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

I was in the Seattle area this weekend and someone told me that in a four-mile radius there are over 400 coffeeshops! THAT is coffee culture! Another woman said she looked up how many Starbucks there are in the radius of her neighborhood of Madrona: 92 within 3 miles! OY! Seattle is fabulous, and I even love the rain. The weather was so amazingly beautiful on friday, I sat near a lake in Medina with nesting herons flying overhead, writing at a picnic table! (missed you at the conference, by the way.)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I love coffee, music and beer!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

Shhhhh - don't let the secret out ;)

I LOVE the NW so much!!!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home