Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Home sweet home


I am having a love affair with my house. After another week away (went down to the SF Bay Area for my granny’s 88th Birthday and family reunion), it all feels new again. I am loving the colors of my walls and the fact that each room is different, the spring flowers popping up, my bright green kitchen, the way the morning light falls through the blue curtains and casts shadows on the art work in the living room, and my yummy bed. Ahhhhh, it’s good to be back!!

I feel roots sprouting and the need to be here for at least a month with no trips is overwhelming. I find myself fantasizing about cleaning, organizing, de-cluttering, gardening and last but in no way least, spending time in my beloved studio. I am dying to paint!!! How great is that?? I had been feeling a bit overwhelmed which always turns to staring around not knowing where to begin and then about three levels of crap on the way down to self loathing. It’s important to understand your cycles ☺

I got home last night and went out to dinner with my son and in-laws. It was a gorgeous day, blue skies, green plants, white-topped mountains and the water just amazing. Anyone that has been to Seattle on a clear spring/summer day knows it is tough to beat! We went to a restaurant on the water and sat outside drinking wine and catching up.

After dinner I went with my father-in-law to see Davis Sedaris. He writes for The New Yorker and has several books of short stories about his life, he is brilliant!! It was so good to laugh for almost two hours; we should all spend more time laughing. One of his stories pushed the boundaries of my comfort zone with my father-in-law. He is a wonderful man, the picture of class and elegance and I don’t think I have ever heard him use a curse word (V unlike me I am ashamed to report). David broke into a story about a NY cabbie and used the word F**k about 20 times and in many of it’s glorious versions and even worse….GULP…Pu**y! Is it hot in here??? Profanity and sex stories aside, it was a great evening. After the show we went for Martinis and talked about how great we think Sedaris is and politics. He is deepening my political understanding. Being the son of a Senator and an extremely well educated man, I feel lucky to have him as a resource.

I know there are a fair few writers in this beautiful blog tribe so I want to pass along a book Davis Sedaris recommended, Who Do You Love by Jean Thompson. It is a book of short stories and he said she is a master storyteller. He said he didn’t know her just was a huge fan of her writing.


Ok, this is getting long so I am going too respond to my beautiful Bohemian Girl’s tag to spill 10 beans. Sorry to take so long to get to it!

1. I am a perfectionist and a procrastinator, how do I manage it??

2. I created the family I wish I had grown up with by selecting remarkable friends.

3. I love that processed nacho cheese food. A fact that my husband still finds hilarious as I typically eat organic fruits and veggies.

4. I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 13.

5. I think I’m taller than I really am, I’m 5’4’’ and feel closer too 5’ 8’’. My husband says it’s because all of my friends are short.

6. I really want to go to China, India, Morocco, and Egypt.

7. My grandmother is from Shanghi, making me ¼ Chinese.

8. I love to watch my son sleep.

9. I am a city girl.

10. I get impatient when people play the victim.

7 Comments:

Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

So glad you are home. Your lifted spirits lifted mine as well:)

Glad you got to laugh hard and long- I blushed for you when you mentioned the context of the cabbie story.

Great beanies too.

Hugs
Thea

10:55 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

i LOVE seeing photos of your home. your sense of style has always inspired me. you were the one that inspired me to place a bunch of candles of all different lengths bunched together in the middle of a table. i've been doing that for years now and YOU were the first one i saw do it. : )

so glad you are home girlie. you've been so missed.

you sound good...really really good and rejuvinated and ready to settle into the womb of your nurturing home.

such good beanies. Tay is right...ALL of your friends are short (including me)!! *giggle*

so thrilled that Seattle welcomed you home with such a perfect day and perfect moments to share with family. will email soon...xoxoxox

love you.

11:15 AM  
Blogger M said...

Yeah, you're back! I missed seeing your works in progress! Love your tags- I too am a perfectionist and a procrastinator...what is that?!!

11:20 AM  
Blogger meghan said...

so good to have you back! I missed you! Thank you for the stories and for the book recommendations! and I have to say - as a fellow most organic eater who tried to eat healthy - it's nice to know someone else loves that nacho cheese muck - MMMmmmmmMMMMmmmmm!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I love the green in your kitchen, such a soothing, wonderful color. I am yet another organic foods maniac who gets a hankerin for the nacho cheese goo, especially on french fries. What do they put in that stuff?

2:10 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

so glad you are home! and i love how much you adore your home...and that i can picture it in my head as i read your words.
i am borrowing that david sedaris book from a friend and i can't wait to dive in and read it. and double gulp about the language but don't forget, your father-in-law is a grown-up too!
Love your 10 things! Amen to #10 my friend!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

I love David Sedaris, and I love your green kitchen! Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks about like the color we're planning to paint the bathroom in a few weeks! Also, Letha, I was wondering if you're going to make it SCBWI this weekend?

(And is it your father-in-law who's the son of a senator? What state?)

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home