Thursday, March 30, 2006

Where does the time go???



When I was pregnant, older women were always telling me how fast babies grow up. “Oh enjoy every minute, it goes so fast!” I heard it so often that by the 9th month I would smile and nod and think to myself, “yeah, yeah I know.” Grumpy third trimester thoughts, we’re all over getting advice by then right? ☺

Well, here I am, five years later asking myself, “where the hell has the time gone?” My son is now five years old and last night he lost his first tooth. Didn’t he just get teeth???
I told my husband I felt like we were going to wake up tomorrow and be 50.

It was so cute and comical how proud he was of his lost tooth. He was hopping around, unable to sit still, calling his grandparents and announcing his accomplishment. It is so funny to me that he sails right through the milestones he works to achieve, as if it was no big deal, but the tooth falling out…well that is a right of passage that simply must be celebrated.



Celebrate we did, the tooth-fairy came, he got pizza for dinner and we all talked about how great it is that he is getting so big. I must confess, I would be just as happy if he slowed down a bit. Stayed little a bit longer. Ah, they grow up so fast….wait am I saying that now?? YES!!!

I took him to visit my mom recently. She lives on a wonderful island up here in the Northwest and it is a pretty tight community. The shopkeepers on Main Street have seen my son over the years on our many visits. On our last trip, we were shopping and went into one of my favorite shops. They had signs hung all over the walls and my son stood under them, reading them all aloud. He was just entertaining himself while I browsed. I am used to him reading everything in sight, he’s been doing it since he was 3!! The shopkeeper turned to me and said, “you only got to have a baby for a minute didn’t you?” Lump in throat I said, “yes, it really feels that way to me.”

He is really ahead of the curve and that has made him feel more adult to me at an earlier age. Because he is advanced, it feels like he grew up so much quicker, like he was a little man at 3. We were living in London for part of his third year and we would spend each day out and about exploring the city. I felt like I was hanging out with my friend not very small child. He knew his way around every bit as well as I did and had the underground system memorized. One night I was in our flat making dinner and he walked in and asked me, “is the Indian Ocean warm or cold I need to know because I am trying to figure out what kind of whales live there?”...huh? Now, he is reading the first Harry Potter on his own in bed and does algebra in his head. GULP.
I know having a gifted child seems like it is just a straight out blessing but in truth it is more complicated than that. Do I really let him take his SAT’s in 6th grade and go to University at 12? Where did my baby go? I am trying to take it all as it comes and just love every minute of the journey that is parenting…even if they journey is taking my places I never thought I’d go.

4 Comments:

Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Letha, I love the maniacal look on your son's face in the first photo! He sounds like such an interesting kid! As for the gifted part, I had a six-year-old once in a college anthropology class and it was so strange for the rest of us. His little hand didn't have the motor skills to keep up with his big brain, so he needed longer to take the tests, just because his handwriting was loopy and kid-like. He got an A. Weird. Oh yeah, and when he grew up he wanted to be a game-show host! Kids!

9:20 PM  
Blogger boho girl said...

Oh Dacey-Poo. Look at him and his pride!

I am so stunned at how he's grown. I love hearing you talk about him, sharing his giftedness. I am glad you opened up about it here because I know it is a challenging (yet rewarding) journey for you guys.

I knew when he was in your belly that he would turn out to be brilliant. How could he not with you and Tay as parents??? So, none of this suprises me but I know it still surprises you daily. Perhaps he'll never cease to surprise you with his brain. Keeps it exciting, does it not??

Give him a hug for me...the girl on down the coast. xoxoxo

9:35 PM  
Blogger meghan said...

What a terrific introduction to an amazing kid. I am looking at the possibility of one day having one of those - and reading posts like this make it seem much less scary!

P.S. I really love the photo of you that you have as your picture.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw...that sounds so wonderful! Thanks for the reminder that motherhood can be a fun job, on occasion. ;) At least when they're five and up!

You are so lucky to have each other! Gifted children NEED gifted parents who can understand them.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home