Monday, March 13, 2006

Sand castles




One of my oldest and dearest friends came for a visit this weekend to introduce her new baby to our family. It is wonderful to spend time with someone who knows, loves, accepts and understands you. To have the benefit of years of history in a friendship is a beautiful thing. It is always so fascinating to me to watch little kids together. Babies just connect to kids in a whole different way and little guys are just as enamored with them. I wonder if they recognize a little of themselves in each other. It was so fun to watch my son with this new little baby and see them connecting. Beautiful!!

My friend and her husband went to meet some friends for lunch so we decided to meet back up at the beach later. I was a little early and sat down on a log to watch the sail boats going by, the families playing, and enjoy some rare Pacific Northwest sunshine. It was beautiful and though the sun was out, it was still quite cold. I began watching a little boy playing in the sand. He was making sand castles and running into the water to get wet sand. He was having a fantastic time. He worked on his sand castle compound for what seemed like hours. He never noticed the temperature of the water and didn't seem to be bothered by the cold.


It got me thinking...

Kinds have so many things right! Remember when you were having so much fun outside it didn't matter that you were so cold your nose was running down your face? Or you forgot your gloves but had snow ball fights anyway until your hands turned blue. When playing was so fun you wouldn't stop to eat for hours (until you mom made you!)?

It made me want to reconnect to that spirit of play and also of being present in the moment. That little boy was so present with his sand castle that he didn't notice his feet were numb (which I am sure they were) or wonder what observers were thinking. Nothing mattered outside of the world he was creating.

I am going to try to be present, to be open and playful and free. I am going to try to hold that image close to my heart this week and see where it takes me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Hi Letha -- I'm glad you visited my blog so that I could, in turn, discover yours! Welcome to this little community that is still new to me and to many of us! Just read some of your entries below and I'm blown away that you're moving to Uganda!!! Wow!!! And I think, though you may want to be sure and bring all your supplies with you, you will find PLENTY of inspiration there! What an experience - frightening and exciting both. And amazing for your son-- I never lived anywhere THAT exotic, but I did live overseas from age 9-15, and it shaped me, traveling, living in other cultures. I can't imagine who I'd be without those experiences. I wish all children had that opportunity - I think there would be more understanding, acceptance and empathy in the world if we all grew up with a broader view of the world.

Also could really relate to your issues with starting a new creative endeavor, be it a blog or a painting or whatever -- funny, since that's just what my current post is about! Nice to meet you.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Yasmin said...

beautiful - I shall try to be more present also

9:30 PM  
Blogger boho girl said...

Look at how gorgeous Dace is...just like his mother! I still cannot get over how big he has gotten.

Kids do have it all right, don't they?

Let's tap into our inner child more often...to see what sand castles we can build.

Beautiful photo of the beach...you captured the essence well.

I love you.

9:58 PM  
Blogger meghan said...

Fantastic! I can't wait to hear where it takes you!! I have been working through this too for the past little while. I've felt SO disconnected with that part of myself. I wonder - is in an inevitable part of growing older? I don't think so. My Dad is still like that - a real inspiration!! I am really looking forward to seeing where you go with this!! P.S. - CUTE!!!

12:18 AM  
Blogger M said...

What a great post to read first thing in the morning!! Wow! I'm ready to tap into my kid-ness as well. Need to just play for the fun of it! Great reminder. Maybe we'll start a movement or something.
I love to giggle with my man and do silly dances around the flat for no reason. What do you like to do??

9:13 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh i love this. being present. being open to the moment and letting go of the adult "shoulds" - yes!

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home