Monday, March 27, 2006




Swimming with the dolphins was an amazing experience and well worth the years of waiting!! I have loved dolphins for as long as I can remember. Years ago, a friend recommended a book to me, The Call of the Dolphin. It is about people who feel a connection to these amazing animals and the various experiences they have with them all over the world. It also talks about their spiritual role in the world, which was really interesting to me. It’s a great read if you are one of those people too.

They are so beautiful and joyful. You could feel how powerful they were when you touched them, just solid muscle!! It was easy to see that were really happy there, they were so playful and generous with their affections.

I was with a group of five other people (they were actually pretty awful company, frat boys and their girl friends. They were making horrible tuna jokes and just didn’t seem to have much reverence or respect) and we all spread ourselves out in the water. The dolphins swam between us, letting us stroke them and play with them. There were two swimming in our section and several others in a different part of the water having a day off and another two swimming with the little kids. My son loved it!

It seemed like they really liked being stroked on their bellies, they would linger a little while longer if you rubbed their tummies...so cute!! I got to swim tummy to tummy with them, holding their fins and they towed me around the pool. It was exhilarating; I could have done it for hours!! There was another fun move they have you do where you lay flat and keep your legs really straight, a dolphin puts its nose on each foot, one per foot, and they push you through the water, fast. It feels like water-skiing a bit, very fun. It is crazy how fast you go!!

I had gone into the experience with some knowledge of dolphins and a lot of reverence for them and their joyful loving energy. I left feeling so grateful for the time I was able to spend with them. I feel so fortunate to have had a personal experience with them, I hope to have more.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an incredible experience! I especially love the second photo, your smiles match :). what gorgeous, graceful creatures dolphins are.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Letha, that sounds so wonderful!! I am envious. I'd love to try that some day! What amazing animals.

3:55 PM  
Blogger M said...

Wow! this sounds amazing! i haven't swam with them yet, but have video of me screeching with joy to see them when we were on a whale watching tour in NZ...you must go there next and swim with the ones in the southern hemisphere!! Or do they have a place you can go when you hit Africa? So happy for you! Hope the rest of the trip was equally as meaningful. Glad your back!

4:09 PM  
Blogger boho girl said...

you look truly happy and connected to them.

i know you were their favorite in the group. dolphins must sense your reverence.

beautiful creatures (you and dolphins).

i would LOVE to swim belly to belly with them...what a dream!

5:36 PM  
Blogger meghan said...

i'm so happy you had such a wonderful time. I know that the dolphins knew how much you respected them! I for one though am glad to have you back!!

9:43 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

beautiful. i love how happy and exhilerated you look! and your experience sounds amazing (minus the company of a few humans). you now have connected with these amazing creatures on another level...a blessing.

10:06 AM  
Blogger harmonyinline said...

What a beautiful experience,I think I am a tiny bit greenish.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Marcheline said...

Congratulations... you've just done one of the things on my "things to do before I die" list.

Have you ever taken a ride in an F-14 fighter jet?

Me, neither - but it's on my list.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home