Thursday, April 27, 2006

It's the Simple Things




It'’s the simple things in life that really move you. The way ice-cream tastes on a hot day, the spring flowers beginning to sprout in the garden, a sunny day after a week of rain, the unexpected thoughtful gesture of a stranger, a walk on the beach with a girl friend. Yes, it'’s the simple things in life that really matter.

It's time to put the simple things to work. I am hoping they can also help me to better manage my out of control to do list. Like so many women juggling family, career, home and hearth I get overwhelmed. In part, this is do to my need for perfection in all areas of my life. While I understand intellectually that it is impossible to actually be perfect, it doesn'’t stop me from killing myself in its pursuit. I try to keep the dishes done, laundry washed and put away, meals made from scratch with healthy ingredients, my son properly challenged and exposed to many things, my paintings perfect and well thought out...phew...I'm exhausted just writing about it.

Thank goodness for girlfriends. My dear friend Beth always tells me to learn to be comfortable with mediocrity. She'’s a PhD Psychology so she outta know right?? Alas, you can't change your nature, so I strive on!

I was recently staying with another dear friend of mine, Kristen, who is caught in the same hamster wheel I am. In fact, I think she is even harder on herself than I am. I didn'’t think it was possible but after a week of close observation, I have to admit she has trumped me. However there is hope, she has found a tool that we both hope will help. A book written by busy successful women, trying to manage crazy new millennium lives written to and for their sisters in the struggle. It is called Simple Steps:10 weeks to getting control of your life. Sounds good, simple even. Kristen'’s life coach recommended it to her. The authors suggest having a community of women do it together so she asked if I wanted to join her in taking the steps. I have a new plan.



Now, I don't have the book yet so I am not sure what these simple steps entail. However, I know some of the things I'd like to be a little more consistent with. Yesterday I decided to get a jump start on the plan, it'’s never to soon to start and healthy habits are always a good idea right?? So, I woke up at 6 and did a very long workout complete with 30 min of cardio and 45 of weights. Something I have not done in a LONG time. Then got my son fed, watered and off to school. Went off to the store and bought tons of fruits, veggies and healthy food. I went to bed feeling great, proud of myself even!

Then I woke up.

I could barley move! It hurt to sit down on the toilet to pee, the stairs killed my hamstrings, and even my neck hurt. This I believe is a lesson being taught to me by the law of natural consequences. SLOW DOWN they are saying. I remember many conversations with Beth, full of good advice and sweet friendship. Reminding me I don't have to do it all.
Ok, so I am trying to listen, slow down, and take the Simple Steps as they come.

If anyone else is interested in doing it let me know, the power of female bonding might just help us all succeed in getting out of the hamster wheel.

5 Comments:

Blogger bleu lotus said...

i am interested!
i am a...
mom with
2 boys, 4month & 2 years (busy girl)
creative
jewelry maker and crafty girl
but...with no time!
just found out about blogs
(me on the hampster wheel wearing blinders)

days seems to turn into nights in 3 hours, weeks into months.
breakfast lunch dinner (all healthy and homeade)
baths, love, watering, education, no tv, love, laundry, dishes, cleaning, love, bils, life seems so overwhelming these days!

my 2 yr old is a smarty, so i have to keep him attuned...
how does one do it all?

peace love & light
lotusbelle~

3:22 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

leth...you're on the cusp of creating a new revolution for artsy, creative, busy mothers.

proud of you. it has begun. keep going, keep inspiring.

loving on you...

deni xoxoxo

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Denise said LOL. Seriously...you are truly, truly one of my inspirations Letha. I feel so at sea a lot of the time with this trying to be a mother AND a writer and oh yeah don't let the house fall apart and lastly why do I look a fright? stuff. You seem to manage all so beautifully? Mediocre? Yeah, not so much. I think your friend means that it's the fear of being mediocre that keeps us trapped on the hamster wheel...if we just rest on ourselves for a bit, we can probably get so much more LIVING done.

10:15 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

yay! i have this book
(heh, have had it for about four years
and keep trying it and then stopping)

so if you are planning on doing
the book, i am SO in! the steps
are fairly easy really...
and they give you lots of time
for them to sink in..in the hopes
that they will become "habit"...

woohoo..i am pretty excited about this!
:)

3:01 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh this is so good...all these realizations. i needed this reminder about the hamster wheel. today i managed to step off it. thanks for this reminder to allow myself permission not to step back on.
i can't wait to see you soon and talk to you about all of this in person! i hope you got my email...
hugs to you,
liz

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home