Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sunday Scribblings- My earliest memory

I have a terrible memory. When my husband and I were looking up baby names and their meanings we discovered that my name actually means “forgetful one or oblivion”. My husband looked at me and said, “that explains a lot.” My name has cursed me, not only with schoolyard chants of “lethal weapon” and “laser letha” but it also doomed me to a bad memory.

My earliest memories are flashes, colors, feelings and I have no idea what age they come from. It is embarrassing for me and endlessly frustrating to my mother. I used to wonder if there was wrong with me, and then I met someone just like me. My mother-in-law. When picking out a DVD to watch we will swear to our husbands we haven’t seen a movie and halfway through have to admit that we are beginning to remember it.

I have a few memories of childhood.
I remember a wonderful doll stroller that I got for Christmas one year my father made the wooden stroller and my mom the bedding.

I remember falling asleep in front of the glass door to the backyard cuddled up in the sun with my cat.

I remember hiking and fishing in the mountains with my grandfather and him teaching me to clean the fish I caught.

I remember my dad telling me my grandfather passed away.

I remember moving and changing schools in 5th grade and being terrified of the new girls. I came from the next town over but it could have been from another planet for how different everything seemed. I didn’t know the complex social rules.


I wish there were more, longer and clearer memories but I will hold these and many other flashes close to my heart.

10 Comments:

Blogger boho girl said...

i bet you were so cute curled up by the glass window with your kitty cat.

and about the meaning of your name...you might be a wee bit forgetful but you sure make up for it with a brilliant brain in your head!!

i've always loved your name. you are the only Letha i ever knew. how cool is that???

xoxoxo love you.
boho

12:13 PM  
Blogger meghan said...

That's what I have from when I was really little too - flashes. The memories you have shared are all very poignant and say a lot about you!

1:30 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

for some reason
i don't remember alot from my childhood
either, which is odd...
i remember all the stories my parents have ever told us about when we were kids
and when they were kids
but actual memories?
not so much.

i do love the flashes you shared though.
:)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

ah yes, but you have lived up to your nickname - your talent is a lethal weapon, petal :-) "my earliest memories are flashes, colours, feelings..." - me too
Sx

4:25 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Do you know how your parents came up with your name? It's very interesting -- and pretty -- and it does now bring to mind Lethe, the River of Forgetfulness, though that certainly doesn't seem to describe you!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

My memory is exactly like yours! I remember people's names and phone numbers but I don't remember movies and such. My husband is my exact opposite... Too weird!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I had to giggle imagining you are your sitting there as you read the meaning of your name. So cute.

I used to feel the same way actually. Like everyone remembered things about their childhood more than I did. Something has happened where I realize my memories are cleared than I once thought.

I like the memories you shared-and just like boho I can imagine your cuteness curled up sleeping on the floor with your cat.

Hugs

5:48 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

My little brother use to lay in the sun with our cat too... so cute. Just reading that made a few of my own memories trickle in. Thank you!

6:44 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i have to say i love this image of remembering the images, flashes of color without the actual memories. i can relate. although i do have a few memories, there are lots of things i do not remember at all. i went to the same school for nine years (K-8) and there is so much about it that i remember but i don't have memories of home.
thank you for sharing these memories that did come to you. beautiful my dear.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

These are great snapshot memories, so clear. My name always bothered me too. It means "sorrow". I've come to love my name now, but you can imagine how it fed teenage angst!

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home