Thursday, May 25, 2006

Poetry Thursday



I did this painting two years ago of the beautiful boho and me. It was called mountains. I found this poem yesterday and it made me think of this painting. Of this beautiful friendship. Of the power and beauty of women. The beauty, mystery and strength of female connections. I think women together can change the world!! This poem if for all the amazing women out there, changing and gracing the world in so many ways. Sharing their unique and special gifts with the world and shining their light on us all. To all the lovelies near and far, some I have met, some I have yet to meet who have made my life more beautiful for their contributions.

Of Mountains and Women

The hearts of women
And the hearts of mountains
Are both the same. They beat to
An old rhythm, an old song.

Mountains and women
Are made from the sinew of the rock.
Mountains and women
Are home to the spirits of the earth
Mountains and women
Are created with beauty all around
Mountains and women
Embrace thee mystery of life

Mountains give patience to women.
Women give fullness to mountains
Celebrate each mountain, each women
Sing songs to mountains and to women
Dance for them in your dreams

The spirit of mountains and of women
Will give courage to our children
Long after we are gone.

Poem by Nancy Wood

13 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Wow! This is beautiful and powerful.

12:47 PM  
Blogger M said...

What a gorgeous painting, and friendship. I'm all for celebrating being a woman- this poem is magical.

1:58 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

beautiful painting...
and poem to match
:)

2:40 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

That's a beautiful poem and a lovely painting.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

That is profoundly beautiful. I remember it from your website. You captured both of your indiviual spirits so well.

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I feel honored that you visited. Anyway, yes, when I was creating the painting I was thinking of African masks. In college I took a course on African art (I was an Art History major), and I have always admired the way African art abstracts forms yet they still remain recognizable forms, also love the drama and dark colors.

3:12 PM  
Blogger boho girl said...

this lovely painting is hanging on the wall near the steps up to our loft.

it means the world to me. our friendship and the mountains we've climbed.

thank you for putting it out there along with this poem that is so fitting.

love you,
boho

3:23 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

the words of this poem are spiraling their way into my heart today. thank you my beautiful friend.

i love seeing your gorgeous faces together like this...

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That poem is deeply beautiful. I want to print it out and send it to all my friends. This painting is also phenomenal, both your lovely souls on one canvas!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

So perfect-the painting and the poem.

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so touched by this beautiful friendship. Thank you so much for sharing. The painting and the words are inspiring and lovely.....

10:11 AM  
Blogger carla said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog...I am happy that your visit led me here. Your artwork is breathtaking...you are a masterful painter, and your work has such an amazing vibe of power and beauty. This painting of you and your friend is clearly a work of art about an work of art – your friendship. I think I've read that poem somewhere (or maybe not; maybe it just sounds right to me). How well it seems to give words to your painting!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

beautiful poem, beautiful words, beautifull intention, and most of all a beautiful painting of two wonderful souls - letha, this is a lovey post
Sx

8:29 AM  
Blogger White Square said...

Hi,
what an amazing comparison between mountains and women...very innovative along with a beautiful painting..

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home