Monday, May 15, 2006

In-between seasons




It isn’t quite spring anymore and it isn’t really summer yet either. As I watered my garden this morning I noticed all my spring flowers losing their blooms and fading away. The summer flowers are just beginning, the seeds have become tiny green shoots popping up all around barley visible unless you get on your knees and look for them as I obsessively do. I am impatient for the flowers.

I found myself getting frustrated with my garden this morning. Why can’t it just go from beautiful spring bulbs to wondrous summer flowers?? Why is this between phase so long? I am impatient with this in-between stage, it us not attractive, it is taking a lot of work with little to show for it and I am ready to see the fruits of my labors.

Almost immediately after the thought came into my head I heard a voice. “The seasons are important and you have to honor them. The spring flowers need to take their time to die back. Allowing them to produce the seeds that will mean even more flowers next year. Let them work their magic in their own time and you will be rewarded with a lusher garden next year. The new plants need time to grow. They are busy underground, developing roots, gathering strength to support the flowers and plants they will become. Have patience, the stronger the roots, the healthier and more beautiful the plant will become”.

PATINCE. I have never been good at it. It is so important to have patience and appreciate the seasons, life’s seasons to trust life’s process and appreciate the moment. I am trying.

I am between seasons in the garden and in my life.

I have been busy growing roots in the form of making clothing, jewelry, paintings, creating a new home; I have been hard at work under the surface growing roots. I am hoping that the flowers will come soon. I am ready to see the work out in the world, hopefully spreading beauty and joy.

It is almost Summer! Here are a few of my flowers...


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an astute obsevation letha, one I completely relate to, although I am still waiting for the spring flowers. I went out and decorated my porch with greenhouse purchase begonias this weekend, or course I have to bring them in every night so they don't get too cold still :). Your creations are fantastic, and I love that you took photos of them outside!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

oh my goodness, i want that necklace - it's divine! Patience is always so hard to find - and your post reminds me to look a bit harder. thank you beautiful you
Sx

1:16 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

I love that necklace. Patience is something I could use a bit more of myself...

1:43 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i love the way you have wound this around to the growth in your garden and in your life. they are taking root and growing and soon they will bloom...but really, they already are.

11:42 PM  
Blogger M said...

These flowers are beautiful! I too was feeling sad about all the tulips and other spring flowers fading away for another year, but more will come. This is a wonderful analogy of life, love it!

8:48 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

ahhhhhh...those are beautiful...
i love the tiny print and
contrasting ribbon...
so sweet!

and i so hear you
about the gardening
and waiting not-so-patiently
for the show
:)

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home