Thursday, August 10, 2006




One of my favorite writers/poets is Oscar Wilde. I find his wit and insights nothing short of brilliant. When we were in Paris recently we visited his grave. To my amazement it was covered in kisses. I was deeply moved by it. While showing my photos to friends, I have had several commented on the pictures and thought it was odd and/or disturbing. I found it touching. I was moved that a man who in his time was treated so poorly for living an alternative lifestyle is still so beloved by so many. His insights and humor are still relevant today. So, here are a few quotes for you to enjoy!

Women are meant to be loved,
not understood.

Anyone can sympathize
with the sufferings of a friend;
it requires a very fine nature
to sympathize with a friend’s
success.

Consistency is the
last refuge of the
unimaginative.

No great artist ever sees
things as they really are
if he did, he would cease
to be an artist.

Society often
forgives the criminal,
but it never forgives
the dreamer.

We are all in the gutter,
but some of us are looking
at the stars.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I can see why he received so many kisses :) These were great, thanks.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Lovely-truly lovely

Thank you for sharing it

6:45 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

letha my dear these are wonderful. and i love how you were struck by the kisses...very cool.

hope you are having a good week!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

i would want kisses on my grave - how fabulous! hey sweetie, i'm back and i'm freckly, and i've missed you lots... let's sort you that phone date asap :-) xx

3:49 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

fantastic quotes...
and kisses...
cool!
:)

5:14 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

i too would want kisses on my grave. how beautiful!

the quotes were fun to read. i had a smile on my fave the entire time.

kiss, kiss to Oscar!

and big kiss to you.
xoxox

8:54 AM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

i have always loved him ever since playing in the importance of being ernest when i was 11. ( my son is even his namesake)

lovely quotes...very witty.
i too think the kisses are a wonderful tribute to a fine man.

xxx

10:13 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Oh thank you for sharing these...wonderful :)

I love Wilde...a genius indeed

warm love

xxx d

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home