Saturday, July 29, 2006

Uganda Phase 1, part 2


I am continuing to try to process this change. Each day, I come a little closer to acceptance and an unexpected emotion I am beginning to recognize as, excitement?

This week my focus has had to be primarily on getting the finishing touches on my show complete. However, I have made a promise to myself to do a little each week to prepare and investigate what lies ahead.

I am beginning to be able to see myself in Uganda and I hope that my plans manifest into reality the way I see them. I am hoping divide my time between two things; first volunteering at a clinic that works with women and children with HIV and Aids. Second to start a clothing line.

I have been designing and sewing clothes for my website for the last year. I have always loved clothes and see it as another extension of my artwork. I have intentionally kept it very small, a secondary activity to painting. However, I think it is time for a change.

Once in Uganda I think it might be a great way to help people, provide me with a creative outlet and community and help support the local economy. I am going to hire a few women to make clothes with me. One of Uganda’s main exports is textiles. I am hoping to use some of their traditional fabrics in new and modern designs as well as design my own fabrics. I am really excited about this idea!!

I am planning to pay fair trade in the hopes that it will provide women with a good income of their own and hopefully allow for independence and a better life. In addition, I hope to donate a large amount of the profits to help built shelters for the children in the north. I wrote about them here, http://lethasandison.blogspot.com/2006/05/sunday-scribblings-three-wishes.html

So, this week I begun looking into grants for businesses that support and boost African economy, found an international lawyer to assist me in setting up the legalities, and have been nagging my husband to bring me in March so I can really understand wwhhat needs to happen. It is beginning to feel like a reality!! Do any of you have any ideas and/or advice???
Wish me luck!!!

12 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

Letha~ I am overwhelmed just reading about this happening for you, I can't imagine what this must feel like for you?!

I confess my worry-wortness and wish oodles of safety angels to surround you and creative sewing vibes to inhabit your brain.

What an adventure...you GO Girl! :)

xo d

5:14 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

re: your comment on my blog - thank you for your kind words! :-)

Yes, I live in Seattle, so I was hoping your show was also here to see your pieces in person (they're gorgeous!)

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This all sounds incredible. What a wonderful opportunity lies ahead of you. Just to be able to lend a hand to help these women is a gift all in itself. Then to top it off to have their fabrics incorporated with your designs sounds spectacular.

I am a big supporter of Women to Women International and I commend you on your efforts and such support you can give to help these vibrant women to achieve an income.

Kudos to you and much blessings I am throwing your way! It sounds like you have a while before you go, yes? I will definetly keep track of your progress. Great to visit your blog.

10:27 PM  
Blogger meghan said...

Letha - my goodness - I am fully overwhelmed by what is happening in your life. You read about people wanting to take leaps - wanting to live in the centre of their lives, in the centre of their dreams and goals. You read about people who want to make a difference in the world - and you, YOU are going to do ALL of those things. I am deeply, passionately jealous and equally excited for you. I can't believe what I am reading, really. Oh sweetheart, what an amazing adventure.

P.S. mark was sitting beside me when I opened your post & we both agreed again that we are coming to see you there!! My tummy hurts just thinking about it. LOVE to you. xooxooxooxooxox

2:47 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

i am so, so, so proud of you.

advice?

just continue this passion burning within. don't let it die. keep moving toward this amazing, heartfelt, selfless, beautiful goal.

oh...and convince Tay that March is essential.

you are creating your reality and your reality rocks!

love you.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

wow...so you're starting to feel excited? and so you should with plans like that!
i think this will be the experience of a lifetime, for you as Letha, and as a family.
I moved to the middle east when i was a child for a few years and still miss it. it was such a wonderful experience.
i am excited for year, and i wish i could come too.

sending you lots of luck, but i think it's already pre-destined for you!

xxxx

4:05 PM  
Blogger kelly rae said...

your sewing idea is brililant. do it! how rewarding it will be and so creative, too. good for you!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

You are truly an amazing woman, a wonderful asset to this sometimes painful world. I love how you are using your talent not only to feed your own soul, but the souls of others as well. Oh my, you truly come from a place of light!

Best wishes, love!
xoxo

7:43 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

wow...
go you!
what a leap into the
possiblities!
:)

i wish i had some advice
or other offering,
but i only have support
:)

7:23 AM  
Blogger M said...

This sounds like such an amazing adventure, and you haven't even left the country yet! I think your sewing idea sounds brilliant!! A way to use your creativity and a chance to share and empower women who need all the help they can get.
You are such a generous giving person, I can't wait to go on this adventure with you through your words and art.

9:12 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

letha this is fantastic! i am so excited and can't wait to hear more my friend.
you are incredible.
love to you,
liz

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my GOD...You are amazing and beautiful and compassionate and BRILLIANT!

I am in awe. I have nothing else to say.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home